Events & Rumours

With the summer heat becoming oppressive, the court partakes in a naval barge party while the rest of the city finds ways to keep themselves cool. It's even hotter in Pearlmouth where most business takes place in the evening.

Timestamp:

[right][b]July, 313 HE[/b] [i]district location[/i][/right]

Closed

Strangely Quiet and Empty ((Complete)), Oliver
Edlyn Dominika of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 10 2012, 11:31 PM

Love is Not a Competition
Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Cecily; Duchess of Naxen
Addressed: Your Grace
178 POSTS
Carrie aka carriebee
Awards: 14

October 10th, 311 HE
Unicorn

Edlyn always hated being dressed properly at home. Without a dedicated maid of her own, she never saw the point of wasting time with pins, corsets, farthingales and lacing when there was no one visiting. During a normal day at home, she stayed in the private rooms on the second floor or the gardens behind the embassy. Edlyn felt an unboned simple gown, chemise and an overrobe was enough.

However, she had the idea to invite Oliver over for dinner that night since Rilind was gone and that meant the staff might think oddly if she didn't dress for a guest. That stupid cow Rilind used to screw would tell on her, Edlyn knew, she preferred the least amount of trouble she could manage. True, the staff might gossip among themselves and to Rilind about the young Duke showing up for dinner, but he'd likely be more furious if she didn't even bother to dress for the occasion.

It was simple enough. A pale blue kirtle, laced at the side so she could dress herself, a cream under skirt and dark brown turned back sleeves. She braided her hair herself but didn't bother to pin it up. Some toddler would likely unpin it anyway.

She managed to get the children mostly settled in the nursery. Dressed. Clean-- well mostly, there was only so much you could do with Mathias-- he seemed to grow dirt. The kitchen staff had fairly simple meal planned and almost ready. Now all she needed was her guest, Oliver of Naxen.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Oliver of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 11 2012, 12:43 AM

Don't judge a book by the cover
Duke of Naxen; Privy Secretary to the Queen
239 POSTS
Nicole aka JosiePosie
Awards: 17

Oliver of Naxen quietly rode up to the Marenite Embassy, calmly relaxed. He'd been back in the capitol city for around a week now, and while it was tough being in the Naxen rooms mostly alone (though Andrey did stay over frequently) it was still a change to have the energy that Richard brought with him gone. Normally Oliver would have stayed with his knightmaster, but Finn was still at the front, so Oliver figured he might as well stay in his own family's rooms. He missed Finn, but at least he didn't have to explain his absence tonight to anyone, which was a plus.

Riding up to the gatekeeper, Oliver identified himself. Thankfully he was expected and was let right in. Riding up the drive to the front of the house, Oliver quickly dismounted once he reached the doors. Handing his reins over to the waiting stable boy, Oliver undid the side bag off of his saddle. He had planned on staying the night and had packed a few things, including a nice bottle of wine from the Naxen cellars and a bag of candied fruit for the children.

Making his way up the stairs, Oliver nodded to the maid who opened the door. She looked familiar from his previous visits but he still couldn't match a name to the face. "Kindly inform the Lady Edlyn that Oliver of Naxen is here to call upon her," he asked as she closed the door and bobbed a curtsy. Oliver knew that Ed expected him, but propriety had to be maintained.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmailMSN
^
Edlyn Dominika of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 11 2012, 01:11 AM

178 POSTS
Carrie aka carriebee

"Lady? A gentleman is here for you," the buxom blonde maid gave quite the knowing look as Edlyn jumped up to her feet from playing with Gwen and Alazne and straightened her skirts. She nodded and thanked the maid, a hand to her hair, hoping it was still neat in its braid despite cuddling Sasha against her shoulder. He was very talented in destroying a hairstyle, much like his father, Edlyn thought dryly, knowing Bellona complained multiple times about him ruining her hair.

Flying down the stairs while trying to half-heartedly to remain ladylike, Edlyn flew across the entrance hall to greet Oliver, a broad smile on her face.

"I'm glad you made it, I wasn't sure if you had plans tonight," she said in a breathy tone. Edlyn kissed Oliver politely on the cheek, she offered her hand to him, to show him the way upstairs, excitedly play acting as if he had never been up there before. Usually when he had gone up there, no one was supposed to see him, he wasn't supposed to go into the private realm of the family. Though Edlyn knew that would soon change, even if Rilind didn't quite like that idea. Luckily he wasn't here tonight.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Oliver of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 11 2012, 03:24 AM

239 POSTS
Nicole aka JosiePosie

Thankfully he didn't have long to wait. The maid left and Edlyn appeared shortly, almost flying down the grand stair towards him. Smiling, Oliver wished he could do more than take Edlyn's offered hand. He wanted to put his arm around her and pull her in close, but Edlyn didn't seem to think that sort of closeness was appropriate for the entry way, since she didn't instigate anything.

Walking towards the stair, Oliver shrugged a bit. "If I did I'd have canceled them for you. I didn't have anything pressing to do. The whole palace is in a fervor over the war ending, its nice to escape it to somewhere more tranquil." Oliver wasn't one to like big parties, so the energy at the palace tonight was a bit much for him. He was happy they won the war, of course, and was happy the troops would be homing home, but he'd rather celebrate in a more restrained manner.

"Your brother left this morning I take it?" Ol asked as they walked up the stair towards the second floor. It was not the first time he'd been upstairs, he'd spent the night with Edlyn a few times in the past, but it was the fist time he went up the stair, and not crept in like a thief in the night through the back way.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmailMSN
^
Edlyn Dominika of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 12 2012, 10:56 PM

178 POSTS
Carrie aka carriebee

Edlyn smiled as she led Oliver up the stairs to the more private quarters of the embassy, however it faded a little when he mentioned being attracted to coming here for something a little more tranquil than the court. She rubbed her neck with her free hand as they walked up the stairs.

"Tranquil? I'm not sure if the court is more rambunctious than my nieces and nephews," Edlyn spoke gently, reminding Oliver of the troop of toddlers that awaited she and him at the top of the stairs in the nursery. He seemed to be underestimating them.

"Yes, Rilind left this morning, I can scarcely remember him packing it was so quick. He left me with a little direction as to how to manage in his absence, he didn't seem to know when he would be back," Edlyn explained as they reached the top of the stairs.

"I suppose he'll write-- Oh! Before I ring for dinner, did you need to set that anywhere?" she realized Oliver was holding a saddle bag in his other hand. Much like her brother, Edlyn suspected Oliver of being able to plan for anything. Still, with servants and some very nosy toddlers, Edlyn figured he might've brought things that ought to be kept out of plain sight.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Oliver of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 12 2012, 11:25 PM

239 POSTS
Nicole aka JosiePosie

"Well, even if they are rowdy it is better than the chaos up at the palace now. The king has been in his cups heavily celebrating and most of the court has followed suit." Oliver was a well known teetotaler, rarely indulging in more than two glasses of wine at any one sitting. His drinking had increased after his brother's death, the first night alone in Naxen he had gotten rip roaring drunk, not knowing to deal with the sadness he was feeling, and unable to cry. Now though, he was back to his usual self, though more prone to have a glass of wine than he had been in the past.

Putting his free arm around Ed's waist, now that they were on the second floor and the odds of being seen by someone they shouldn't were lower, Oliver felt that the familiarity was safe enough. "I can't imagine it taking too long, the Tusani's don't really have much ground to stand on, at least from what I've heard about the battle. Apparently we captured one of their princes, or something."

Shrugging, Oliver glanced down at the pack. "Eh, your room I guess? It's just got a change of clothes and some other odds and ends in it that I thought might be useful."

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmailMSN
^
Edlyn Dominika of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 12 2012, 11:45 PM

178 POSTS
Carrie aka carriebee

Edlyn shrugged. Oliver had never exprienced breakfast at the embassy, and until he did, he wouldn't know how to define rowdy in proper terms. Dogs and cats running around, toddlers tossing porridge, Edlyn felt they could give the court a run for their money in contained chaos. Still, it wasn't worth arguing about it until Oliver understood the very secret life of the Maren Embassy. It was very unlike what Rilind allowed the court and public to see.

"I hope it won't be long," Edlyn commented, as she turned with Oliver away from the nursery and toward the other wing where her room was, nestled among mostly disused and empty rooms-- save for the small library they had. "It's-- empty and lonely here without Rilind and Bellona. I don't know if I could handle having to deal with all this on my own, including trying to keep the children amused." They were used to a lot of family time and attention from their parents, not just the socializing of a nanny.

"Alazne and Mathias are professional snoopers," she commented as they reached her door. She unlocked it and pushed the door open for she and Oliver. Stepping inside, she gestured anywhere for Oliver to relieve himself of the bag.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Oliver of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 13 2012, 10:00 PM

239 POSTS
Nicole aka JosiePosie

Oliver understood, likely better than most, exactly how Edlyn felt about the empty house. Her brother and sister in law were big personalities, they filled the room when they were around, and left it almost achingly empty when they were absent. Like Rich. Pushing thoughts of his brother aside, Oliver just nodded. "I'm sure it won't be. Your brother and his wife will be back soon enough, though that will cut into the time that I can so brazenly spend here," he teased her slightly with a smile on his face. "And I'm sure you're doing fine, they adore you so I'm sure you just being here is good enough for the children."

Walking into Ed's room, Oliver glanced around, it looked basically the same as the last time he has snuck in for a covert liaison. "I have no doubt about that" Oliver replied as he set the pack down on a table near by. "This time however, there is actually something for them to find in here." Flipping the cover open, Oliver reached in and rummaged about a bit before producing a small bag and tossing it to Edlyn. "Candied fruits, I remember how much the little monsters liked them from last time. And something for the grown ups too" he said with a grin as he reached in the bag again and pulled out a bottle of wine, gently shaking it back and forth.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmailMSN
^
Edlyn Dominika of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 13 2012, 10:29 PM

178 POSTS
Carrie aka carriebee

Oliver was right, Edlyn knew, her brother and sister-in-law would return soon enough and the embassy would be back to its normal, slightly off-the-wall self. Though, if he thought that meant he wouldn't be able to spend time at the embassy afterward, she felt he was sorely mistaken. It would take likely a month, Edlyn thought, for those two to recover from being apart. They had barely spent a night apart since they married, and judging by the amount of alcohol Rilind consumed in the past months, he wasn't handling it well. Having his wife back would likely consume much of his time and attention-- at least for a while. She would work on wearing him down in the mean time so she was able to continue to see Oliver on at least a semi-regular basis.

"Oh!" Edlyn gave a cry of delight when Oliver produced both something to appease the children and a bottle of wine for them. Did he know that Rilind had managed to empty the cellars?

She crossed the distance between she and Oliver, thankful of the closed door, and embraced him tightly. Bringing her lips up to meet his, Edlyn kissed him in almost relief.

"Dinner will be very soon I'm afraid, and the monsters are waiting, but I can't resist," she murmured before kissing him again.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Oliver of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 28 2012, 02:23 AM

239 POSTS
Nicole aka JosiePosie

Grinning, Oliver murmured "Who am I to argue with a lady?" as he slid his arms around Edlyn as she leaned in and kissed him. Even though they had spent weeks together at Naxen, Oliver still couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't real, that they were just a figment of his imagination, and that he'd wake up and it was all just a dream. He'd never met anyone like Edlyn, and he had absolutely no intention of letting her go.

Breaking the kiss, Oliver smiled ever so slightly before murmuring softly "Don't start something you can't finish, we wouldn't want the souffle to fall," his lips nearly brushing hers as he spoke. He wasn't being entirely serious, he wasn't that randy! But he knew how things with him and Edlyn tended to get a bit out of control if they were left to their own devices. How rude would it be to the cook, to have the dinner delayed and possibly ruined because they decided to have a little fun before?

Still, Edlyn hadn't said that dinner would be starting right that minute. Taking the opportunity to kiss Edlyn again, Oliver did so, this kiss a bit more instant than the previous one.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmailMSN
^
Edlyn Dominika of Naxen
 Posted: Mar 29 2012, 01:39 AM

178 POSTS
Carrie aka carriebee

"Oliver, you'd argue with anyone," Edlyn teased, rubbing her nose against his in a playful gesture. She laughed at both the idea of starting something and a souffle falling, she wondered if Oliver meant it to have both kinds of connotations. Still, she knew what he meant, at some point they weren't going to want to go to the dining room, having amused themselves too much. After Oliver's lingering kiss, Edlyn pulled back a bit, doing mostly as he said.

"You know, I told Mathias you were coming and I think he was happier than I was," she giggled, knowing it shouldn't be possible. She liked to tease though, so she took Oliver's hands and brought them up to her lips, kissing them briefly in a affectionate gesture.

"He said something about playing knights and bandits," she gave Oliver a look, knowing it wasn't a game Rilind had invented, especially not the way Mathias described it, as a rollicking and very active game. Like the whole point was to wind the kid up as much as possible before giving them over to a maid. Edlyn knew her brother was too much involved in the hiring of new maids to think that was a good idea.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Oliver of Naxen
 Posted: Apr 8 2012, 08:05 PM

239 POSTS
Nicole aka JosiePosie

"I try, I try" he murmured with a small smile as Edlyn rubbed her nose against his. It was a playful gesture, one that he hadn't experienced since he was a small, small child. Glancing down at her as she brought his hands up for a quick kiss, he couldn't stop the facts from bursting forth. "Did you know that rubbing noses together is called a Doi Kiss because up in the Roof of the World it is too cold to actually kiss because their lips might freeze together?" He'd heard that somewhere long ago and it made sense to him, sometimes in Tortall if felt that cold, he couldn't imagine how cold it must be in the Roof.

"I'm glad he's happy to see me, I promised last time that I was here we could play again next time. I'm surprised he remembered, its been months." Oliver hadn't been to the embassy since before the Summer Palace and the war, Mathias must really have liked the game if he remembered the promise months later. "I thought about having a wooden sword made for him, but then I suspected that your brother wouldn't approve of giving the boy pointy objects, so I refrained. I'll wait until after we're married to give the children gifts their parents won't approve of. That's what uncles are for, right?" He should know, he did it often enough with his sister's three boys that Oliver had the art of giving the children the most amazing yet annoying toys down pat.

Leaning in, Oliver quickly kissed Edlyn on the tip of her nose. "Come on, we ought to head to dinner. We'll have plenty of time later, I think an early bed time for the monsters might be required tonight." Oliver wanted time with Edlyn sans interruptions and wasn't afraid to admit it.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmailMSN
^
Edlyn Dominika of Naxen
 Posted: Apr 8 2012, 10:12 PM

178 POSTS
Carrie aka carriebee

"Their lips freeze together?" Edlyn repeated slowly, listening intently to the knowledge pouring out of Oliver's mouth. He always had tidbits that no other (normal) person his age had in their brain. However, this time, she couldn't quite believe him, not able to overcome her sense of disbelief. While the Doi were very far away from Oliver, they were closer to Edlyn's home country of Maren. She shook her head a little, "I don't think that's right. Or possible."

She laughed however, at Oliver's plan to buy Mathias a toy sword, something that the boy would go crazy for. It was a shame he thought he ought to wait, while Rilind might not have wanted it, Bellona would be all for it, and not even Rilind could argue with that. When Oliver mentioned casually about being married, Edlyn grew flustered at the idea, not at being married, but about how easily Oliver talked about it. It didn't seem as other worldly to him as it did to her. She supposed it shouldn't seem surreal, but it did. All she could do was smile at the idea.

"You drive a hard bargain," she replied, taking Oliver's hand and leading him out of her room, and down to the dining room. Joyous shrieks came as two small children came out, leading an even smaller one. Gwen held Alazne's hand very carefully as the blonde toddled excitedly toward Oliver and Edlyn. Mathias moved more quickly however out of the nursery and thundered right into Oliver's leg.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Oliver of Naxen
 Posted: Apr 14 2012, 10:56 PM

239 POSTS
Nicole aka JosiePosie

"That's what I thought, but I've never met a Doi to ask them so, guess that's what we'll go with. Very scientific I'll have you know." Smiling a bit at the joke, Oliver couldn't help but be more amused than he likely should be. He took his knowledge and learning very seriously, taking this lightly was definitely walking on the wild side for him!

Letting Edlyn lead him out of her room and down the hall towards the dining room, Ol shrugged a bit. "What can I say? I'm a Naxen, its in our blood to drive a hard bargain." Ol's family was rather notorious for their careful money handling (well, up until Richard that was). If a good bargain was to be found, you could count on the Naxen's locating it.

"Hey there Bud!" Ol said with a happy laugh as Mathias thundered into his leg, well ahead of the girls. Reaching down, Oliver tousled the young boy's brown curls, happy that the children remembered him. "I see you've missed me. I've missed you too."

Glancing towards the girls as they approached closer, Oliver bowed to them from the waist. "M'Lady Gwendolyn, M'Lady Alazne, it is an honor to make your acquaintance once again." Oliver was genuinely fond of children and enjoyed spending time with them, especially the energetic Halych brood.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmailMSN
^
Edlyn Dominika of Naxen
 Posted: May 2 2012, 11:47 PM

178 POSTS
Carrie aka carriebee

Edlyn laughed as the children took Oliver over. While they would have to make it very clear to the brood they were going to play the 'pretend Oliver was never here, it's a secret' game with them, it was at least nice that they liked Oliver so much. She would have to impart the knowledge that as long as they keep it secret, Oliver can visit again.

"Okay you fiends, I think dinner is ready," Edlyn said, hoping to bring some calm to the situation. At least it was worth a try right?

Smiling down at the kids, Oliver reached out to ruffle each one of their hair in turn. Glancing over at Edlyn, he nodded with a bit of a smile. "I think your Auntie Edlyn is right. Lets head on in for dinner. I'll race you!"

It didn't take long for the children to dart off, giggling and laughing as their little toddler feet carried them as fast as they could. Slipping an arm around Edlyn's waist, Oliver was content to meander with her in the trail of destruction left by the herd of children.

"You're a piss-poor racer," Edlyn said with a smile as they headed to the dining room. Not that she minded, of course, leaning into him as they walked. The dining room was already staffed and filled with a table of dishes waiting. At least with the children there, the meal was made simply and there wasn't multiple courses. The children never had the patience for that.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed

Chatango & Affiliates
Listed At
RPG-D
Static Affiliates
Once Upon a Dream Edolon: Empires at War

Scrolling Affiliates
BTM affiliates Aeterna Roma Garden of Bones MISS YOUR EMBRACE
Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Pallet High School Art of Deception photo SagaBanner_zpscc93f1e7.jpg The World of Karyle | Original Fantasy RPG
SKIN BY COLUMBA.